Monday, September 6, 2010

GeezerThon 2010 Update

As if I needed further proof that God, Nature and Fate are out to get me...15 seconds after my daughter, Aubreii, dropped me off at the start point of GeezerThon 2010 - my solo bicycle ride across the Great State of Michigan - the rain started. Day One and three minutes into the ride and I was soaked to the skin.

Then came the wind, with gusts nearly lifting me from the seat of my bike. If I rode north, the wind blew from the south; if I turned east the wind came from the west. It's been in my face for about 25 miles so far, but it can't find me here in Starbuck's! I may ask them if I can set my tent up in here, rather than brave the next 20 miles to Seven Lakes State Park, where I plan to spend the night.

At the moment, I'm charging my phone, laptop and self (thank you Jesus, for inventing caffeine!).

I'm hoping there's a decent eatery or general store near the campground; I'm already tired of granola bars and trail mix, the only food I packed for the trip.

Speaking of packing, I'm beginning to think bringing absolutely everything I own with me might not have been such a hot idea after all. My bike weighs about 600 pounds, and that's without me on it. Every hill feels like the north face of Kilimanjaro. And am I really going to need my entire video collection and barbell set?

Still, I'm not complaining; so far, I'm having the time of my life (knock on wood). I'm looking out the window now and it seems the rain may be slowing down. I'm sure the rest of the trip will be a piece of cake. Yup, no doubt about it.

I just wish those buzzards would stop circling overhead.

No comments: