Thursday, December 9, 2010

Be careful what you wish for; it may leave a bullet hole

When I was ten years old, there was nothing I wanted more than a gunshot wound, preferably in my left leg. Kids want a lot of dumb stuff, but this particular longing was dumb even by kid standards.
Didn’t matter. I wanted that gunshot wound more than I wanted G.I. Joes, a James Bond spy kit and X-Ray Specs combined. I would have given almost anything to get someone to shoot me in the leg.
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I didn’t know anybody who owned a gun. Nobody who was willing to shoot me, at any rate. Considering the kind of kid I was, you’d think people would have been lining up for the job.
I wanted the bullet wound because of a kid I’d met the previous summer at the drive-in, back in the days when there were drive-ins and they had playgrounds up by the screen to keep the abundant progeny of Catholic parents busy until the sun went down.
The kid I met had a big scar on his left thigh. Its center was the size of a quarter, with shiny scar tissue radiating out six inches in all directions. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen! The kid’s dad had shot him accidentally a couple years earlier while cleaning his pistol.
Words can’t describe the jealously I felt over that kid’s wound. Not only was it the hit of the playground, but the scar unsurprisingly repulsed every girl who gazed upon it. In the words of Keats, that scar was a thing of beauty and a joy forever.
The idea that getting shot with dad’s .45 must have hurt like crazy never crossed my mind. The possibility that taking a large-caliber bullet might be fatal also never wafted over my transom.
I was a kid. And a dumb kid at that.
As I grew older, my desire to get shot faded. By the time I was a teenager and living in Detroit, where getting shot was a distinct possibility, the longing for a bullet hole had departed entirely.
But recent events have me wondering if I’m really any smarter now than I was then. Do the things I want these days make any more sense than did a bullet hole, or am I still doing things that will wind up scarring me in the end?
In the past couple years, I’ve dated half-a-dozen girls but the only one I really got serious about was—you got it—the one most likely to leave me scarred. Though the pain of the breakup was probably not as bad as, say, getting shot with a .45, it wasn’t as pleasurable as an evening out with Heather Graham might be, either.
And yet, I wanted it. I pursued it.
So. Do we get smarter as we get older? Maybe you do. Me?  The jury’s still out.
If only someone had gone ahead and shot me in the leg back when I was ten, my entire life might have been different. Plus, I would have that cool scar!

More “Reality Check” online at http://mtrealitycheck.blogspot.com or www.milive.com. E-mail Mike Taylor at mtaylor325@gmail.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the woman, like the bullet, is something you've wish for? Why not go out of your comfort zone and pursue a woman who does not fit the mold of what you have always craved. Perhaps, you will find that she may attract you even more, will not scar you, and she will love you like no other! Call it "a leap of faith"...