Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I’m afraid of what I may be doing to international relations and Boise, Idaho

 A couple weeks ago I told you about my new job, writing horoscopes for an English language newspaper in Moscow, Russia. Yes, really. Turns out the editor there liked my work so well he asked me if Id also be willing to write horoscopes geared toward romance and business, along with a monthly overview horoscope. He represents several publishing concerns, apparently, all of which have readers who cant make life decisions without a little help from the stars (not Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, but Neptune, Mars and so on, though theyre not stars, but planetseven I know that much, but I digress).
After stressing to the editor yet again that I know absolutely nothing about astrology other than that there are twelve months in the year and a sign to accompany each, I agreed to take on the job.
How? you may ask. How can someone who knows nothing about astrology accurately predict the future of 10 million Muscovites? The short answer is: I make stuff up.
Are you a Pisces? Romance will blossom in August! Aquarius? Keep your eye on financial matters and expect a long trip in your near future. Leo? Too late, you will regret a recent, really, really bad decision. (My ex-girlfriend is a Leo, so Im afraid all news is bad for the poor suckers in Moscow born under that sign, at least for a while.)
When I first started writing these things, I took it pretty lightly. I mean, I dont believe in all this astrology hoo-hah, surely others dont either, right?
Wrong.
Turns out some folks believe in astrology the way I believe in beer and Mexican food; its a religion. I discovered this fact recently after telling my favorite waitress, Crystal, about my new gig.
You really write horoscopes? Crystal enthused. Crystal is cute, half my age, and was obviously impressed, so I pretended it was a big deal.
Oh, yeah, I said, the picture of nonchalance. For a big publishing concern in Moscow. Now, I have no idea if any of those Moscow papers for which Im writing has a million readers or seven. Point is, neither does Crystal.
Im a Virgo, Crystal said, pushing her long, blond hair behind one ear. Whats going to happen to me next week?
Um, I said, I dunno.
Cmon, Crystal said. You can tell me.
No. I mean, I really dont know. I make it all up.
Ri-ight, Crystal said. Youre not supposed to say anything until its been published, is that it?
No, I mean I really make it up. Its all fake.
Crystal looked suddenly worried. Do they all do that?
I dont know, I admitted. Im the only astrologer Ive ever met.
Crystal took my order, but her heart wasnt in it. She was thinking about the plans shed made for the upcoming weeks; plans predicated on the alleged accuracy of whichever horoscope she peruses every night.
And so, like Crystal, Im worried, but for a different reason. Somewhere in Moscow, there is somebody reading the nonsense Im spewing forth each month and imbuing it with a validity and accuracy it does not in any way, shape or form possess. Someone is making life decisions based on my off the cuff BS!
Someone is leaving his wife. Someone is buying stock in K-Mart. Someone is selling everything he owns and embarking on a cross-country bicycle trip (a Sagittarius, like me. Seemed like a good idea when I was writing the prediction, but I was drinking beer and eating Mexican food at the time).
What really scares me is that somewhere, somewhere in the Russian countryside, a lone soldier, a Leo like my ex-girlfriend, is sitting in a near-defunct, Cold War era missile silo, reading a newspaper. Hes sitting on 300 megatons of radioactive death, targeted at Boise, Idaho. His horoscope reads, Nows the time to just go ahead and do it! Your life stinks anyway. What have you got to lose?
Im really hoping hes not a true believer.

Mike Taylors new book, Looking at the Pint Half Full is available at mtrealitycheck.com or in ebook format from Barnes and Noble, Borders and other online booksellers. Email Mike at mtaylor325@gmail.com.

No comments: