Tuesday, April 29, 2014

I think I’m overdue for an oil change



I’m beginning to feel like a poorly-maintained classic car, maybe a ’68 Mustang, one that’s been washed and waxed regularly, but hasn’t had as many oil changes as it should have had over the years. 

See, for my age, I look pretty good. Not attractive, exactly, but considerably younger than the issuance date my birth certificate indicates. I take no real pride in this, since I had nothing to do with it. I rarely eat “right,” I drink too much beer, I don’t get enough sleep and in the summer I’m outside all the time without ever bothering with sunscreen.

Despite all this, like that Mustang, I look okay for my age. Sadly, the analogy does not end there. Like that Mustang, I’ve got high miles and a lot of my mechanical components seem to be in need of repair lately.

This is on my mind just now because I can’t walk. I could a couple days ago, but not today. 

In fact, last weekend I went for a 28-mile bicycle ride. Got winded a couple times, but that’s to be expected after a long winter’s hibernation.

My legs were a little sore the next day, but they felt fine the day after that. Then two days ago I woke up with both my knees hurting like a sunnavagun. This wasn’t little “over-exertion” discomfort, either, but a boo-boo like I’d never experienced before. Those suckers were screaming like a congressman forced to work a 40-hour week.

It came out of nowhere! 

Two days later and the left leg feels OK, mostly. The right is still keeping me in bed and the Bayer people in business. 

I’m seeing a doctor tomorrow; with any luck it’ll turn out to be nothing, some iron deficiency, maybe. Something easily treatable.

But it still has me worried. This comes only a week after I was hospitalized with a “stricture” of the esophagus that was preventing me from swallowing grilled chicken or anything else, including water and far more importantly, beer.

I’ve gone my whole life, up until the last couple weeks, with absolutely no health issue more serious than a cold or stubbed toe. Now all of a sudden I’m falling apart? Getting “mystery” aches and pains?

Oh, I’m guessing I’ll be right as rain in a few days, but then what? As with that old Mustang, it’s just a matter of time before something else goes kablooey and needs to be repaired, replaced or removed.

And as I understand it, there is no way to completely halt this process. It can be delayed, sure, but in the end, that Mustang’s going to wind up in the scrap yard.

I suppose I should find that thought depressing, but I don’t. It’s all part of that Disney “circle of life” thing, and I’m OK with that.

Still, I’m beginning to wish I’d been a bit more methodical with those oil changes.

mtaylor@staffordgroup.com
(616) 548-8273

No comments: