Wednesday, November 30, 2016

In the year 2525, I’ll still be paying off that student loan



Far as I know, history has recorded only one occurrence of someone coming back from the dead and that was over 2,000 years ago. Still, I’m hopeful.
No, I haven’t suddenly gotten more religion than I had yesterday. And I haven’t begun living my life in a manner that would assure I’m assigned to better (and hopefully, cooler) quarters in the afterlife.
I’m talking about living longer in this life. My current body ain’t much, but for the moment, it’s all I’ve got. I’d like to keep it up and running as long as possible. Sadly, present day medical science can only do so much to facilitate that goal.
In short: I’m going to die. Not today. Probably not tomorrow and hopefully not for 30 years or more. I’m actually shooting for 40, but I don’t want to get greedy.
No, wait a minute; yes, I do want to get greedy. I want to get greedy indeedy! I want to live to see that first Martian colony take hold, to see the shocked faces of the staid naysayers when someone finally invents warp drive. I want to see those far-off Utopias dreamt of by H.G. Wells and Thomas More.
I want to live long enough to pay off my student loan.
Until last Friday, I didn’t think I’d have that chance. Now? I’m not so sure.
As with so many pivotal moments in my life, this one occurred at a party. My daughter’s house in Detroit. Bonfire. No shortage of wine, Aubreii’s excellent homemade chili, pizza, and conversation with some of that city’s finest intellects. (At least they seemed that way after a few glasses of Pinot Noir.)
I was introduced to Joseph Kowalsky, director of the Cryonics Institute, in Clinton Township. The mission of the Cryonic Institute – cribbed from their website – is this: “To extend human lifespans by preserving the body using existing cryogenic technologies.”
This isn’t science fiction, folks. This is happening today.
Despite having limited brainpower myself, I do subscribe to a couple science journals, so I was already somewhat familiar with cryogenics. It works like this: when you die, your body is preserved through cryogenic techniques and flash frozen like a TV dinner. I’m guessing it’s slightly more technical in practice.
Point is, you are then stored cryogenically until such time as medical science comes up with a way to revive your corpse-sickle and bring you back to full health.
The cost for this procedure, I learned from Joe, is surprisingly affordable, especially if you plan ahead and pay for it with a life insurance policy. (Which, I’ll admit, appears to have some legal ramifications. I mean, if you’re brought back to life, are you required to repay the life insurance? It could get confusing, but at least you’d be alive to deal with it.)
I really want to do this. But I’ll admit I have a few concerns:
·         First off, I don’t want anyone putting funny hats on my frozen body and snapping selfies with me at Cryonics Institute Christmas parties.
·         What if I’m brought back 1,000 years from now only to serve as a wriggling entrée for humanity’s new, insectoid overlords?
·         I can barely figure out how to program my present-day Tivo system. I can’t imagine how convoluted that task will be in the year 2525.
·         If I don’t pay off that student loan before I go into frozen storage, the late charges accumulated over a few centuries are gonna kill me all over again!
·         What guarantee do I have that someone won’t trip over the plug to the freezer? I don’t want to wake up, still dead, in a puddle of lukewarm water.
But like I said, despite these concerns I’m going to take the plunge. I figure, what have I got to lose? A few bucks spread out over however many years I have left? The chance of winding up as an alien overlord’s menu option?
It’s worth the risk.
So, adieu, suckers! I’ll say hello to your great-grandkids on Mars.


(616) 730-1414

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greedy, indeedy. Really?