Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Maybe I need to take freedom of speech a little more seriously



Throughout history, brave men and women have risked life and limb in the pursuit of truth and justice. In the face of untold dangers, our forebears made their stands and often paid a high price for doing so.
Over 200 years ago, patriots were willing to suffer and die for that ephemeral promise of “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”
Much further back in time, God’s chosen people spent 40 years wandering the wilderness in the hope of finding the Promised Land.
More recent history is populated with protestors and civil resistors from across the country who struggled to end repression based on race or gender.
I missed out on most of that. And I’ll be honest, I’m glad I did. My guess is the folks involved in pursuing those worthy goals spent a lot of nights scared, hungry and otherwise uncomfortable.
Changing minds is hard work and the people whose minds most need changing are the same folks most resistant to it. So I don’t try to change minds.
I may criticize what some of my friends think, who they vote for, what music they listen to, who they love, hate, worship or despise. I’ll sometimes make fun of their ideas, compare them to lower primates or – in rare cases (I’m thinking of you, Steve-o!) – to icky invertebrates.
But that’s only because I love to argue. Most times I’m not even sure I’m right. I just like the fight.
Socrates once said, “Where there is no controversy, there is no advance in truth.” Despite the fact he often went out in public wearing a bathrobe, Socrates was a pretty smart guy.
I’m not as smart as Socrates; not as smart as a lot of folks, in fact. Still, I get a thrill out of debating an issue.
Actually, “debating” is too high-falutin’ a word for what I do. Sure, it starts out as debating. In the beginning, my intentions are usually honorable. I stick to the topic, avoid slanderous and potentially libelous comments. But in the end, it always devolves to name calling and schoolyard taunts liberally laced with the most heinous profanity known to man.
Let me give you a for-instance. My aforementioned buddy Steve, whom I’ve known for nearly three decades, is our president elect’s number one fan. I’m much further down the fan list. In fact, given that there are about 7.5 billion people in the world at the moment, I’d say I’m Trump Fan Number 7,500,000,000,001. Or thereabouts.
For the past 18 months or so, this has given Steve and me a lot to talk about on Facebook. We do most of our talking there because there’s no way to throw punches online. Were we to discuss politics in person, it would almost certainly end with a police investigation.
Despite his politics and the likelihood I may one day have to kill him (or vice versa), Steve is one of my best friends. I’m hoping he feels the same way about me.
Our conversations go like this:
STEVE (In a meme): Only two more weeks and we can start making America great again!!
ME (Commenting): And by “we,” you mean middle-aged white guys, right?
STEVE: Hey Mike, you commie @#$%!! I thought you were moving to Canada.
ME: They wouldn’t take me. I shouldn’t have mentioned on the entrance form that I knew you. It’s a “guilt by association” thing. Canada has a strict “no Nazis” policy.
STEVE: Nazi? Me? Who’s the one that supported Obamacare?
ME: What’s Obamacare got to do with 1930’s Germany, #$%**!?
STEVE: If you were smart enough to read a history book, @#$%!!, you’d know!
ME: The last book you read, @#%%%@!!, was “Green Eggs and Ham,” and you got confused by the eggs part.
STEVE: $$@!@#$%^&*!! you @#!!$%^!! and the #@#$% you rode in on!
ME: Hey @#%##!, please feel free to @##$!! my @#*+@#! all the way into next week @#!!$%%@!
OK, not exactly Socrates, I know. Still, we have a good time with it. Though I’m guessing we both walk away from the encounters feeling a bit soiled. I know I do.
Point is, we get to enjoy the fun of disagreeing without any of the dangers faced by the post-Pharaoh Jewish nation, our 1776 forefathers, or the brave black kids who dared to order from the Woolworth’s lunch counter in 1960.
Free discourse – even discourse as idiotic as Steve’s and mine – isn’t something we should take for granted. A lot of folks paid a high price for that freedom.
Hmm. Maybe next time Steve and I have it out, I should try to focus more on the issues and less on the @#$%!!

(616) 745-9530

No comments: