Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Parting with a best friend is sometimes more than we can bear


My grandson, Ari, is in love with a bear. He’s two. The bear’s been his friend since birth and the two are inseparable.

He sleeps with Bear, he eats with Bear, when he bathes, Bear is there beside the tub, waiting patiently.

It’s hard to say how long the relationship will last. A dark truth of parenthood (and grandparenthood) is this: children grow up. Stuffed bears do not. And as anyone who’s ever heard the song, “Puff the Magic Dragon” already knows, little boys move on to other toys and stuffed friends are left behind.

But the transient nature of the relationship in no way diminishes the love there. Neither does the fact one of the participants is still wearing diapers and the other is made of cotton and polyester.

It’s real.

I know this for a fact. Because the best friend I ever had was made of cotton. He was a dog. Or, to grant him proper noun status, he was “Doggie.” I don’t remember when I got him, but Doggie is there in my earliest, gauzy memories.

Doggie was my confidante, my friend, my co-conspirator, my ally when there were no other allies. He shared my joys and tears, never judging, never unengaged.

His long, flappy ears were fuzzy on one side and red flannel on the other. His ice blue eyes were deep marbles of understanding that seemed to grasp my myriad preschool  miseries better than anyone else in my life at the time. He didn’t mind if I occasionally chewed on his plastic nose as I fell asleep.

His wind-up music box, cleverly secreted away in his stomach, lulled me to the land of dreams every night.

When my guinea pig died, Doggie didn’t say, “He’s only a rodent.” He knew my heart was breaking and offered nothing but unconditional support.

I traded Doggie away once. I must have been six or seven; I don’t remember exactly. Chuck, the kid who lived next door, had found a wounded baby robin. Chuck was a jerk; he and a couple other kids were tossing the bird back and forth, laughing,  trying to get it to fly.

The bird wasn’t going to survive the experiment. So I offered to trade Doggie for the wounded bird. In my kid mind, I hadn’t quite figured out that trading something meant it would be gone from my life from that moment onward.

But I understood that night, when it was time for bed. My mom tucked me in, as usual. I snuggled under the covers, as usual. But something was missing. I couldn’t sleep.

I missed my friend.

An hour or two later, my folks checked in on me, as parents do. I was still awake, sobbing quietly. Over a stuffed dog.

My old man, to his eternal credit, went next door and offered Chuck five bucks for Doggie’s return. Five bucks was a lot of money back then.

I never again considered trading Doggie away. Ever. He stayed with me through my childhood, though I’ll admit he was eventually relegated less esteemed status and moved from my pillow to the foot of the bed. In time, he was tossed into a toy box with the other flotsam and jetsam of early childhood.

But somehow, as childhood gave way to my teen years, as the GI Joes and Tonka trucks slowly vanished from my life, Doggie remained. He moved with me into my first apartment, a Detroit hovel in which a killer pit bull would have made a more practical pet.

He followed me to several other apartments. A dozen different girlfriends thought it was “cute” that I still had my special stuffed childhood toy. I never thought of him as cute. Doggie, even after all those years, was not a toy; he remained my friend.

My buddies teased me about it from time to time. I didn’t care. I was one of the lucky few who never allocated peer pressure more weight than it deserves (which, generally, is none).

I finally lost Doggie when I lost my first wife. He was in a box in a closet somewhere and when I left (under a hail of automatic weapons fire) I forgot to take him with me. By the time I remembered, my ex had moved twice and at some point thrown him away.

It broke my heart to think of him moldering away in a landfill. But nothing lasts forever. Which, as my grandson could tell us, is the reason we need friends like Doggie and Bear in the first place.



(616) 745-9530

No comments: