Tuesday, October 3, 2017

There’s nothing quite so disgusting as nature



Alfred Hitchcock couldn’t have done it better. Neither could have Stephen King nor Clive Barker.
When it comes to producing creepy stuff, stuff that makes your skin crawl and forces any sane man to run for cover, nobody beats Mother Nature.
This point was driven home to me with a vengeance during a recent bicycle ride. As regular readers of this column already know, I love to ride my bike. I put in at least 10 miles a day, and that’s at top speed. Admittedly, “top speed” in my case means old folks with walkers and toddlers just learning to ambulate on two feet occasionally pass me, but still, I’m out there trying, man!
It’s all about the journey, not the destination. That’s what I tell myself anyway.
Point is, I was out riding one of my favorite trails. The trail wends around a protected wetlands area. Lots of marshes, flocks of geese, the occasional pair of cranes picking around in the shallows; it’s pretty and mostly flat, the topography preferred by cyclists like me (i.e. lazy).
It’s my favorite part of this particular ride.
The day was perfect for riding. Temps hovering around 78, a little breeze but not too much, low humidity, the scents of late summer/early autumn everywhere.
My high pressure tires were pumped to capacity and I’d finally gotten my new, English leather bike seat adjusted just right so it neither forced me to slide forward, nor did it slowly anesthetize my “boy parts” after an hour on the road. (Which is one reeeeal strange feeling, lemme tell ya.)
I’d already put in about eight miles on other parts of the trail when I came to the nature preserve/wetlands loop. Despite the temperate temperatures, the sun had been shining brightly the entire ride and I was more or less covered with sweat.
Because I am by nature fat and trying not to be, I often crank up the speed when I come to the loop, doing the bicycle equivalent of sprints. It’s only for a mile or so, after which I slow back down to let my heart resume beating before I collapse in a heap by the side of the trail.
Leaning into the handlebars, I put the pedals to the metal. I wasn’t going fast by racing standards, but I was moving along at a respectable clip.
It was at this point I noticed the gray cloud, maybe 20 yards ahead. Just a mist, really. It covered the path like fog, rolled over the center of the loop area, and hovered around the other side of the trail as well.
At the speed I was traveling, I had just enough time to think, “What the…?” before barreling into the fog.
Only it wasn’t fog. It wasn’t mist. It wasn’t a cloud.
It was bugs. Millions of ‘em. Maybe billions. Carl Sagan couldn’t have counted their number with the help of a Cray supercomputer and an army of robot abacuses.
About 200 (I’m estimating) flew directly into my open, surprised mouth, where they soon met an untimely demise in my gastrointestinal tract (I hope).
Another 7,418 (estimating again) slammed into my sunglasses, my face, my chest, my exposed, sweaty arms and legs. Still more were sucked up the legs of my shorts.
I was literally covered with these repulsive, winged demons.
In a panic, I put on the speed, thinking to “push” my way through the insectile cloud. But in the words of John Belushi, “Noooooooooooo!” The cloud went on. And on. And on. A quarter-mile later, I was still enveloped by bugs.
The lenses of my sunglasses were by this time so bug-covered that I could barely make out the trail ahead of me. Yet I pushed on, praying for a break in the disgusting mass of flying bug-flesh.
Eventually, I rode through it to the other side. Despite the fact it was early afternoon and there were other cyclists on the trail, I screeched to a halt and stripped off my shirt, shorts and shoes. Standing there in only my Spandex bicycle underwear (which is in no way a good look on this body on a sunny day, believe me) I beat my clothing against a nearby tree in an attempt to dislodge to critters that had taken up residence there.
Then I used the (mostly) bug-free shirt to brush the rest of them from my skin. There wasn’t much I could do about those I’d eaten other than empty the contents of my water bottle down my throat.
I managed to get dressed and back to my car without winding up on a sex offender registry and charged with indecent exposure, so there was a bright spot to the day.
From now until the fall “hatchings” are over, I think I’ll be getting my exercise at the gym.


(616) 745-9530

No comments: