Monday, November 20, 2017

Learning to avert natural disasters under three feet tall

My Granddaughter, Juniper,
Princess of Destruction
I hate the holidays. Well, no, I don’t. Not really. It’s my family I hate. No, I don’t hate my family, either; just the grand-kids. They’re evil. OK, not evil, but they’re definitely children, and in most circumstances, that amounts to the same thing. Children = evil. It’s a simple equation.
They don’t mean to be evil any more than a hurricane means to knock your house over. Like any force of nature, they just sort of happen. And during the holidays, they happen around my house.
See, the problem is I’m not set up for kids. I have too much nice stuff, all the stuff I couldn’t have when my own kids were little. Fragile, fancy-schmancy pieces of art, musical instruments, delicate electronic junk … most of it placed in locations below three feet.
When the grandkids come over for Thanksgiving – all 11 of them! – they home in on my stuff like hungry bees circling a petunia. A couple of ‘em are older and no longer quite so evil. Sometimes, the older ones intervene when the younger ones go all Tasmanian Devil on my belongings. Being teenagers, however, sometimes they just ignore the carnage and continue staring at their phones.
The nine “under-fives” always manage to create a path of destruction that would, under other conditions, qualify me for some sort of federal disaster relief. Currently, the greatest offenders are my daughter Aubreii’s two youngest, Ari and Juniper. Such pretty names for such maniacal personalities.
Luckily (for them) they’re both baby-model cute, which is how they’ve managed to live so long. They have those big, innocent blue eyes their mother once deployed to incapacitate me whenever she sensed the onset of righteous paternal retribution.
And so, every year I wind up with missing and/or broken stuff. Oh, sure, I try to pack as much of it as possible away in drawers before they arrive. But there’s always something I miss. That’s what gets broken.
This year, however, things are going to be different.
As I write this, Thanksgiving is just a few days off. After discussing the problem with The Lovely Mrs. Taylor and brainstorming over a bottle of Merlot, I’ve come up with a few ideas I think might help.
The first was Mrs. Taylor’s idea: steel gates, like those used by mall shops at closing time. You know, you push a button and a big, steel gate rolls down like armor plating over the entire front of the store. Voila! Access is denied!
My grand-kids being who they are, it’s possible I’ll need to electrify the steel gates somehow as a secondary deterrent. I figure I could tie the system in to the front door bell. When the bell rings, gates all over the house would slam shut and my precious stuff would be safe.
Another option (this one was mine) is a network of crisscrossing lasers. I could install them in the floors and ceilings around my DVD rack, porcelain duck collection and antique typewriter. The lasers would use facial recognition software to fire whenever anyone who has never shaved gets within touching distance. I’d program the lasers with just enough “oomph” to sting, but not actually cut any children into slices. I don’t need to deal with angry parents during the holidays!
A low-tech possibility might be a few vicious attack dogs tied up at strategic points around the house. Again, I wouldn’t want the dogs to be too vicious. Despite their evil-ness, I do in fact love my grandchildren, even the most nefarious of the lot (I’m looking at you, June-Bug).
Then there’s the idea of building moats around all the cabinets that are home to my stuff. I really like this one, but Mrs. T isn’t keen on the idea of live sharks in the house. (Did I mention the sharks?) Anyway, the moat’s probably not going to happen.
From a purely aesthetic point of view, a series of those “invisible fences” might work; the kind they use to keep dogs in a yard without actually building a real fence? The only downside I can see is that I’d have to get all nine grandkids fitted with electric collars, which could get expensive. Also, there’s probably an ethical issue here somewhere; people are wimps these days and some goody two-shoes would surely complain if I started shocking toddlers.
At any rate, if any of these ideas work out for me, I’ll be sure to share the news with you other grandparents straight away. I know I can’t be the only geezer dealing with this issue.

(616) 745-9530

No comments: