Tuesday, May 7, 2019

My super-chimp is just the beginning


Read an article the other day about some geneticists in China who have successfully spliced human genes into the brains of monkeys.
I’m guessing those Chinese scientists have never seen the “Planet of the Apes” movies. If they had, they would know there’s no way this is going to end well. It’s only a matter of time before Charlton Heston winds up kneeling on the seashore in front of a half-buried Statue of Liberty while damning everyone at NORAD to hell.
Naturally, most of those commenting on the article were (surprise! surprise!) outraged. An outraged person on Facebook! I mean, what are the odds?
I was a little outraged myself. I don’t, after all, relish the idea of whiling away my golden years picking ticks off the backs of my simian overlords. Likewise, I wouldn’t want those bloody baboons to cut up my brain. (And you just know they would, given half a chance.)
At the same time, while reading the article I couldn’t help but be impressed by the science behind the experiment. Suppose those scientists really do succeed in creating a better, slightly smarter monkey?
There are some who say this experiment was already successfully carried out on a large scale years ago; they point to Washington and Lansing as proof of this theory. Others contend this assertion is insulting to monkeys. But when it comes to politics and primates, I believe exactly what you believe, so let’s keep those emails friendly, kids.
What I find exciting about the experiment is it brings me one step closer to achieving a life-long goal: to own a pet monkey. I’ve wanted a pet monkey since grade school.
Believe it or not, they were once advertised in the back pages of comic books. For $13.95 plus postage the company would ship any kid a (mostly) live baby monkey. If there were rules or regulations governing this practice, nobody paid any attention to them.
My guess is the life expectancy of those baby monkeys was about two weeks. Others were no doubt released into the wilds of West Michigan when their owners realized how much fun it is to change a monkey’s diaper four times a day.
But a genetically-enhanced monkey? One that could be taught to use the little chimp’s room? One smart enough to NOT fling its feces on the lace curtains? Now, THAT might be fun, even without a funny hat and miniature bicycle.
The altered Chinese monkeys aren’t anywhere close to that, sadly, but you’ve got to remember, this is just a first effort. It’s only a matter of time.
Much as I want one, I won’t be first in line to make a purchase. I’ll wait to see if any other owners get their noses bitten off first. If there have been no gruesome monkey-related fatalities after six or seven months, I’ll dig out the credit card.
In fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize there’s a lot of stuff – besides monkeys, I mean – that I wanted as a kid. Like the simian pets, most of this stuff also was advertised in the back pages of “Superman” and “Dr. Strange.”
Back then I had a cash flow problem; most fourth grade kids do. So many of my heart’s desires went unfulfilled.
Lord knows I’m no millionaire now, but I do have a few more bucks than I did as a child. Why should I settle for a super-chimp when I can afford to fill my shelves with the “stuff” I could once only dream of?
Shrunken heads, for instance. I always felt I needed a shrunken head. They looked very real in the pages of the comic books. At the time, I assumed they were authentic, human heads, writ small for the convenience of savvy consumers. Now I’m not so sure. But I’d like to find out once and for all.
X-Ray Specks. I actually dropped two weeks’ allowance on a pair of these. The actual item, when it finally arrived, left much to be desired. They did elicit a wonderful reaction from the girls whenever I wore them on the playground, though. (Sexual harassment laws were laxer in those days.)
Weight gain formula! Because I was tired of getting sand kicked in my face at the beach. Not sure what I’d do with a jar of it these days. Not eat it, that’s for sure. Alas, my “too skinny” days are behind me.
So much great stuff. So little time. But if things go well with my talking super-chimp, I’ll be keeping the FedEx guy busy for months.

No comments: