Wednesday, November 16, 2016

When it comes to domestic disputes, 1-million volts can be a life-saver



Should I suddenly turn up missing, I’m hoping the police will consider my wife the prime suspect. Mrs.Taylor (formerly Lori Frankforter) hasn’t actually made any threats against my life. But I’m worried just the same. Because of a catalog that arrived in yesterday’s mail.
It’s from a company I’ve never heard of, because I’ve never been a Navy Seal wannabe. The catalog is filled with stuff – mostly knives of one sort or another – designed to kill someone quickly and quietly.
The remainder of the proffered merchandise includes military-style shovels (to help hide the body, I’m guessing), battery powered short wave radios (to determine when the heat is off and it’s safe to leave your Unabomber cabin in the woods, throwing stars (in case you’re attacked by ninjas) and Coleman lanterns (to light your workspace while making plans to overthrow the government).
There’s also a large assortment of rapiers, cutlasses, sabers, foils, bokkens, hook swords and various other lethal-looking, but cheaply-made blades that look good over the fireplace but are only going to get you shot if you ever try to use one to avoid being mugged.
The catalog even offers “elven blades,” similar to those used in “The Lord of the Rings” movies. I assume these are sold mostly to folks worried about the influx of trolls and orcs sure to swarm over our borders if we don’t get that wall built between here and the Land of Make Believe.
Mrs. T (fLF) has assured me repeatedly she does not intend to murder me, even if I leave my shoes in the middle of the living room floor again. But I’m guessing she said the same thing to her ex-husbands. I’ve never met them. They don’t call, they don’t write. In fact, nobody mentions them at all.
I’m not saying those bumpy spots in the back yard are of anything other than natural origin, but at this point I can hardly be blamed for wondering.
At any rate, I haven’t lived this long by taking a laissez-faire approach when it comes to my own self-preservation. I’m proactive, baby! For better or worse, I value my wide butt and will do whatever it takes to continue my mostly pointless existence.
This includes self-defense, if necessary.
Fortunately, I have a catalog for that. Mrs. T (fLF) isn’t the only one who can arm herself to the teeth one credit card order at a time.
I think my best bet lies in the “1-Million-Volt Stun Gun Cane.” Regular readers of this column (Hi, Dave!) already know I broke my leg about a year ago and the doctor botched the surgery; since then, I walk with a cane.
I was down on the whole cane idea at first. I mean, I’m relatively young (compared to some giant sea turtles). I wasn’t keen on being spotted around town hobbling over a walking stick like some minor character from a Dicken’s novel. However, Mrs. T (fLF) assured me I could “own it” and make the cane seem cool.
She was lying, of course, but for all the right reasons. Point is, I got used to using a cane. I quickly realized that – rather than making me feel frail and old – holding a hefty piece of wood in my hand (no puns, please!) gave me a feeling of invincibility. I have no doubt I could get a lot of self-defense mileage out of even a regular cane if it came down to it.
But armed with the “1-Million-Volt Stun Gun Cane” offered in the catalog? Well, hell, my enemies would be dropping like flies! And probably a few friends, too. The temptation would just be too great.
At $92.99, the “1-Million-Volt Stun Gun Cane” costs double what I’ve paid for any of my other canes (I already have a collection: tres chic). I’m getting it anyway.
Oh, Mrs. T (fLF) is probably telling the truth when she says she won’t kill me if I leave my shoes in the living room. Then again, I’ve seen the look in her eyes. And there’s that catalog. And the lumps in the yard.
What can I say? Better safe than sorry.

(616) 730-1414

No comments: