Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Establishing I.Q. based on bicycling choices



I’m smarter than I look. I know, there are those who say that just has to be the case, but if you’re going to listen to everything my ex-wives say, we’re never going to get anywhere.
But I am. Smarter than I look, I mean. Sometimes, this is more apparent than others.
Take my new bike, for instance. For years, I rode the same bicycle, a crazy expensive carbon fiber/composite triathlon bicycle worthy of a serious, competitive athlete. I am neither serious, competitive nor anything remotely resembling an athlete.
But I got a good deal on the bike several years back, so I bought it.
Unfortunately, I was involved in an accident a little over a year ago; broke my leg. A surgeon fixed the break just fine, but the anesthesiologist – who apparently had more important things on his mind that day – screwed up the nerves in my leg to the point that riding the triathlon bike was no longer an option. I just couldn’t lean over for hours on end, peddling away,  while maintaining a position reminiscent of a peeping Tom at a keyhole.
Rather than give up cycling entirely, I decided to buy a “regular” bike, what they call a commuter or touring bike. You know, upright handlebars, seat big enough that there’s no danger of actually impaling myself on the thing if I hit a bump, five speeds instead of 20.
I can’t say the idea of downgrading to a Joe Suburban bicycle appealed to me, but I wanted to ride. And even though I was no longer going to be cruising in state-of-the-art style, I wanted a nice bike, something reliable, sturdy, well made.
I did a little research and settled on a Raleigh. They’re made in England; Nottingham, in fact, ancestral home of Robin Hood’s nefarious sheriff. Quality stuff.
Unfortunately, that quality comes at a price. The base model for the bike I wanted runs about $600. Not expensive by triathlon bike standards, but substantially more than you’d expect to pay at any mega store featuring a large M, K or W in its name.
This is where my aforementioned smarts enter the story. Rather than buy a ticket to England, I fired up my iPad and did a quick online search. Turns out there were used Raleighs a’plenty, close and cheap.
I bought one – a classic fixer-upper  from 1965 – from a guy in Portland for $50. It wasn’t until I got it home that I realized the gearing wasn’t quite right; it needed work. Another $50 spent at the bike shop took care of the problem. Then I discovered the bike’s frame was a little small for me.
The Lovely Mrs. Taylor was happy to take it off my hands. She’s currently turning it into a rolling art project of some sort, doing all the mechanical work herself, which impresses the heck out of me.
 I bought another  bike from a Craigslist ad, this one for $90.
The second day I owned it, I took it on a 28-mile tour. This was enough to convince me I needed a new, high-quality seat. At my age, my backside needs all the pampering it can get.
That was $150 at the bike shop. While I was there, I figured I should probably put on new tires and tubes, if I was going to do any serious riding, which I was. And as long as I was getting those, I also figured I’d get new wheels as well, since the old ones were slightly out of true. That ran another couple hundred.
A week later, I discovered it was just too much work peddling with the gears the bike came with, so it was back to the bike shop, where the mechanic convinced me to also drop in a new crankset (the pedals, front sprocket and so on). Couple more hundred.
It was at this point that I began considering starting up a meth lab to make a few extra bucks to pay for all this stuff. Mrs. Taylor said no to that. Also, it turns out running a meth lab is illegal. So I had to put off further improvements for a few weeks.
Three weeks later, I bought new brakes, genuine vintage cork hand grips, derailleur (the shifter thingy), and a chain. By this point, I’d quit counting the cost; it was just too depressing..
It was yesterday, toward the end of a 38 mile ride on the Pere Marquette Trail, that I realized I had – with the exception of the frame – purchased a new bike after all. And I’d saved at least $15 over what it might have cost me to travel to England and buy a new one from the Raleigh factory.
Now that I think about it, maybe I’m not smarter than I look at all. In fact, Mrs. T assures me this is almost certainly the case.


(616) 730-1414

No comments: