Tuesday, October 3, 2017

I want a sandwich, not an expedition



I’m trying to talk The Lovely Mrs. Taylor into starting a private detective agency. She would be so good at it and heaven knows we could use the extra cash.
Why a detective, rather than a car wash attendant, Navy Seal or matador? Simple. Mrs. Taylor knows how to find things. I assume this skill will easily transfer to finding clues, lost children or evidence of a spouse cheating on his or her alleged beloved.
Mrs. T, as far as I know, has no special training in this area. She’s never been a cop, never even worked as a school crossing guard. But there’s no denying she has the gift.
It could be a psychic thing. You know, Stephen King-y mental powers that help her locate stuff by just humming “ohhhmmmm” under her breath and waving her index finger around. I’ve never seen her do this, but she could be hiding it from me, waiting until I’m not looking to pull out her supernatural bag of tricks.
Or maybe she possesses some sort of extraordinary gestalt; she glances around a room, sees a bunch of seemingly unrelated stuff, and then is somehow able to put it all together into a coherent vision revealing a lost item’s location.
However, she does it, it’s downright spooky.
I first noticed it not long after we took up residence together. Before that, I was single. I knew where everything was in my little apartment. My shoes were here, my socks were there, my week-old pot of leftover cream of mushroom soup was there. Everything had its place and I knew where that place was.
Then I moved in with Mrs. T. Suddenly, I couldn’t find my backside with both hands and a flashlight.
The first problems arose in the refrigerator. It was a Tuesday. I knew there was Genoa salami in there somewhere. I looked and looked. For a long time. And yes, ladies, I really tried to find it. Really.
“Honey,” I finally said. “Did you eat the last of the salami?”
“It’s in there,” she said. “In the meat keeper. Under the second shelf.”
I looked in the meat keeper. Under the second shelf. No salami.
“I can’t find it.”
Heaving a heavy sigh, which so far as I know can only be accurately voiced by a wife forced to attend to her husband’s needs, she came into the kitchen, edged me out of the way, reached into the fridge and pulled out the salami.
“Where was it?” I said.
“In the meat keeper, under the second shelf.”
As God is my witness, that salami had NOT been there 15 seconds earlier.
This sort of thing happened over and over. There was food in the refrigerator, I was told, but for the life of me I could not find it. Mrs. T tried to explain her “secret” to me, but frankly, it was unfathomable.
Apparently, if I wanted to find something in the refrigerator, I was now required to “move stuff around.” Large items, she said, sometimes obscured smaller items. A gallon of milk, say, could easily hide a jar of cocktail olives. If I wanted the olives, I had to move the milk.
I know, I know, sounds crazy to me, too. For me – and for most husbands, I’m guessing – those olives might as well be invisible.
But the problem extends far beyond the refrigerator. The bedroom, my office, even the garage – typically MY domain – were not sacrosanct.
I would put a new tire on my bicycle, then leave the tools lying on the garage floor (where they belong!), only to come back later and find them all missing! Sure, I would later locate them in my tool box. But that’s not where I left them, so finding them again was really just a matter of luck.
Shoes I left under the piano in the living room would magically relocate to my closet. Mrs. T would know where they were, but I would not.
If I left some cheese on the kitchen counter (so I could find it later, just in case I needed a bedtime snack) it would be gone when I went back for it. Where to? Well, the refrigerator full of invisible food, that’s where!
It’s little wonder I’m losing weight lately.
At any rate, I’m hoping Mrs. Taylor’s detective agency keeps her busy enough that she doesn’t have time to keep things tidied up around here. Maybe I’ll be able to make a sandwich without organizing a search party.


(616) 730-1414

No comments: