Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Sometimes we need a little help getting into the Christmas spirit



I’ve been trying hard to not Scrooge out this holiday season. In past years, this hasn’t been a problem. As a rule, I’m as jolly as Santa. But just lately … well, there’s a lot going on in the world that steps on my Christmas spirit like some elephant stomping ants.
I know I’m not the only one feeling this way. I talk with friends and many report experiencing that same sense of creeping malaise; that feeling the world – our corner of it, at least – has somehow grown meaner, more small-minded, less civil. More self-serving.
Sure, every year folks gripe about the commercialization of the holiday, the loss of focus as to what Christmas is really all about, Charlie Brown. But this year just feels different. If there really is a “trickle down” effect, I think we may be experiencing it and it’s not as wonderful as some would have us believe.
You can’t lay the blame solely on Washington or Lansing, though, tempting as that may be. You can’t hold Facebook – that digital repository of ill will and bad manners – exclusively responsible, either. The trolls and zealots have been with us always, though it could be argued the online realm has given them larger soapboxes upon which to stand.
Even the media (fake or otherwise) can’t be held exclusively accountable for our tepid Christmas spirit. Reporting the news is not the same as making it, though again, it’s all too easy to kill the messenger.
So, what’s at the root of the problem?
I think you’d need a sociology degree, or at least you’d need to be a lot smarter than I am, to answer that question accurately.
It’s hard to maintain the hope and joyful spirit of Bob Cratchit when you’re (seemingly) living in a world of Ebenezers. Every so often, though, I come across something that makes it a little easier.
I’m thinking of a news story I read recently about Crystal Pacheco, a first-grade student living in Edinburg, Texas. As part of a class assignment, Crystal wrote the following letter to Santa: “Dear Santa Claus, I have binde good this day. This Christmas I would like a ball and a food. I need a blanket.” And if that doesn’t break your heart, you really need to be visited by three spirits.
The part of the story that really breaks my heart, though, is the part that came after, once Crystal’s teacher posted her letter on Facebook. All of a sudden, if only for a while, the online trolls slunk back into their caves, the zealots stepped off their soapboxes.
Within days, Crystal’s school had taken delivery of over 600 blankets, as well as some balls. The school fielded numerous calls, letters and emails from folks all over the country – and around the world – anxious to help.
When I read about that outpouring of good will, well, things suddenly felt a little less bleak. Maybe, I thought, we’re not all avaricious narcissists after all. Maybe there are more good people than bad. Maybe just one person, me, you, anyone, can in some small way make our world a better place.
Oh, I know this is still a dark time. The last time things got this dark they actually named an age for it: The Dark Ages. But the thing to remember, the thing that matters, is this: The Dark Ages were followed by the Renaissance, the Age of Enlightenment, a time of beauty, truth, understanding.
I suppose it will always be the Scrooges of the world who make the most racket, while the Bob Cratchits go about doing good works in their own, quiet way. But my guess is there are a whole lot more Bob Cratchits in the world than there are Scrooges.
And remember, even Scrooge came around in the end.
We’ll be alright. Merry Christmas.

MTRealityCheck.Blogspot.com
(616) 745-9530

No comments: